Saturday, February 2, 2008

Snow in Jerusalem

In an answer to prayer for a winter that has been short of rain, God graciously allowed the rain and snow to fall in Israel this week. God thunders marvelously with His voice; He does great things which we cannot comprehend. For He says to the snow, ‘Fall on the earth’; Likewise to the gentle rain and the heavy rain of His strength. Job 37:5-6

When I went for walk early Thursday morning to take some photos it was overcast with some low, hanging clouds. However, the Lord Jesus graciously let a little sun shine on the Mount of Olives to show me approximately where He ascended and where He was going to return. Now when He had spoken these things, while they watched, He was taken up, and a cloud received Him out of their sight. And while they looked steadfastly toward heaven as He went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel, who also said, "Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven." Then they returned to Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is near Jerusalem, a Sabbath day’s journey. Acts 1:9-13

The morning began with this sunrise over the snow in East Talpiot. After several taxi drivers corrected me, I have learned that East Talpiot is also called Armon HaNatziv, which means "Palace of the Ambassador". During the British mandate after World War I until Israel became a nation in 1948, the British Ambassador used the current day United Nations building as their headquarters. The UN building that I had posted previously is at the top of the valley.

The street I live on, Mordechai El Kakhi, as I begin my walk at 7:30am Thursday morning.

Just around the corner looking at Armon HaNatziv.

Palm trees with snow.

Bushes covered in snow as I head uphill to the Tayilet (Promenade).

Walking uphill on Olei HaGardom Road. Not sure what it means.

Everything was covered but the snow would quickly melt and water all the plants and trees.
‘If you walk in My statutes and keep My commandments, and perform them, then I will give you rain in its season, the land shall yield its produce, and the trees of the field shall yield their fruit. Leviticus 23:3-4

It was so overcast you could not see The City Center. I will end my walk over by that group of buildings which is part of the neighborhood called Abu Tor. I've never been that way before.

Starting a downhill ascent.

The pathway I'm headed down. I passed a few Israelis out walking early and everyone seemed excited about the snow. Boca Tov (Good Morning) is the majority of my Hebrew. However, when one lady said "yofi", I knew she meant "beautiful". "Yes, it is, I said". One young lady wanted me to take her photo with the Old City in the background. She did speak English. We ended up taking 3 or 4 photos until her "smile was just right" like she wanted.

As I walked further west, the view changes a little. Below is Mount Moriah (The Old City), the Kidron Valley, and the Mount of Olives from a different angle.

Looking past olive trees in the snow at the Old City.

I'm actually walking through the western side of the Valley of Gehenna, which in Jeremiah's day was a place where horrible things happened. Thus says the LORD: ... And go out to the Valley of the Son of Hinnom, ... and proclaim there the words that I will tell you, ... Thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel: "Behold, I will bring such a catastrophe on this place, that whoever hears of it, his ears will tingle.
"Because they have forsaken Me ... and have filled this place with the blood of the innocents. ... behold, the days are coming," says the LORD, "that this place shall no more be called Tophet or the Valley of the Son of Hinnom, but the Valley of Slaughter." Jeremiah 19:1-9
If the wrath of God was raised 2700 years ago because of the slaughter of infant children and idol worship, should America be so naive to think that we won't be punished as a nation for 35 years of aborting little innocent babies? Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, The fruit of the womb is a reward. Psalm 127:3 The Lord Jesus was very clear about little children. But Jesus said, "Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven." And He laid His hands on them and departed from there. Matthew 19:14-15

The Valley of Gehenna with the Mount of Offense on the right in the distance.

The City of David and the Mount of Olives.

The birds were all out singing and looking for food. If you zoom in the center of this photo below, there is a beautiful little bird with wings of turquoise. Not sure who he is.

A little color of red to go with with snow.

God watering His grass for springtime. Should be a beautiful spring in Jerusalem.

This walkway was called Derek Gideon (Gideon's Road).

Looking through the trees.

Looking down from the top of the stairs I just climbed to see "where in the world am I?"

As I came up on Hebron Road over by Abu Tor, I thought about walking on in to CFI. I was about halfway there. Then it started a wet snow again so I reversed myself and headed home via the streets. By early afternoon, the buses were running and I went to work for a few hours. As I got to the street to head home, I took one more shot of the Old City from a distance.

The road home on David Raziel Street. Look how fast the snow is melting as the water just runs down the hill. Easy to get splashed on the sidewalks in this weather.

The valley just west of where I live. Ramot Rachel would be in the distance. The building on the right is called the Diplomat. It used to be a hotel but now is a retirement home.

It was a wet snow. Good for snow ball fights and making snow men. This little guy was on the walkway in front of my apartment. I saw many families out enjoying the snow.

With the snow, the Lord blessed us with a couple of Sabbath Days of rest in the middle of the week. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it. Exodus 20:11. The Lord Jesus is our Sabbath of Rest. After 6 thousand years of work, we will rest in Him for 1 thousand years (the 7th thousand). But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. II Peter 3:8. What a beautiful future we have ahead of us when the Lord Jesus actually does reign from this city of Jerusalem. Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection. Over such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years. Revelation 20:6

Above (not my photo) young soldiers in the Israeli Defense Force enjoying the snow on Mount Hermon while defending God's Land. "For as the rain comes down, and the snow from heaven, And do not return there, But water the earth, And make it bring forth and bud, That it may give seed to the sower And bread to the eater, So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it. Isaiah 55:10-11

No comments: